Understanding theories in educational technology
In Unit 2, completed during the residency, you will focus on theory and, in particular how theories are then used as theoretical frameworks. The unit begins with a discussion of some of the more common theories in educational technology and how they are used to frame research. We will then explore how theories are then used as theoretical frameworks (TF) in academic research. We will identify several theoretical frameworks that are common in the field of learning and technology, and will seek to identify others that may be relevant for your specific research interests. Examples of theoretical frameworks that may be discussed include: activity theory; adult learning; cognitive load theory; communities of practice; complexity theory; constructivism; gamification theory; mobile learning theory; motivational theory; self-determination theory; socio-cultural theory; and, technology acceptance model.
Learning Activities and Assignments
- Complete Unit 2 readings and watch any required videos.
- Review and analyze scholarly and popular literature on theoretical frameworks.
- Consider frameworks that are relevant to your research interests.
- Engage in team discussions on theoretical frameworks.
- Working as a team, complete and submit Assignment 2 (Parts A & B): Theoretical Frameworks (team).
- Participate in the class presentations and provide comments.
- Complete Assignment 2 (Part C): Peer and Self Assessment.
- Successfully complete The TCPS 2 Tutorial course on research ethics (CORE).
Assignment 2 | Theoretical Frameworks (Parts A and B)
Complete Assignment 2, parts A and B.
Unit 2 Activity 1 | Team Presentations (Part B)
Each team will conduct their presentations during residency. Your team will have 30 minutes in total. Your presentation should be no longer than 20 minutes which should then allow 10 minutes for questions from your peers.
Unit 2 Activity 2 | TCPS Tutorial Course on Research Ethics
Assignment 2 | Theoretical Frameworks (Part C – Peer and Self Assessment)
Complete Assignment 2, part C.