This course uses some new technology and requires you to create accounts elsewhere that are independent of your RRU account. Here is a rundown of what is used for what purpose to help you keep things straight.
An organizational tip: I use a folder in my browser bookmarks bar called LRNT 528 where I keep all the links to these various services in one handy spot. For password management, if you have not discovered a password manager, they are fantastic tools to help you organize your digital life.
This WordPress site
- Link to: well, you’re here 🙂
- Credentials used: none. It’s fully open
- Used for: This is the main hub of course content. Here you will find the following information.
- The course schedule
- Course readings (which you can also access from the main Moodle course)
- Grading rubrics
- Links to, and blog posts from, all your blogs
- My course update posts (I will cross post the link to these in the Mattermost group as well)
Your WordPress site
- Credentials used: your RRU username and password
- Used for: Your own blogging and reflections. There are a number of course activities and assignments that you will post on your own blog. I subscribe to all blog and comment feeds. While it is not prescribed in this course, I would encourage you to leave comments for your fellow classmates on the content they are posting.
- Link to Moodle (Main) server
- Credentials used to access: Your RRU username and password.
- Used for:
- Submitting assignments
- Accessing your gradebook
- Accessing course readings
- Access Collaborate rooms
- Your week 1 video on facilitation. You will post the video using Kaltura in the Class Discussion forum in Moodle.
- Link to Moodle (Innovate) server
- Credentials used: Your RRU username and password
- Moodle (Innovate) is set up with an empty course shell for your team to use if you wish to create your facilitation week activities within Moodle. You do not have to use Moodle for your facilitation week. You can choose to use another platform as the main hub of your course.
- Link to Collaborate rooms are available in the Moodle (Main) course
- Credentials used: None required if you access through the Moodle (Main)
- Used for: Synchronous sessions. You can also use Collaborate in your teams to organize your facilitation weeks, or within your facilitation weeks to do your synchronous session.
- Link to Mattermost (use this after you have created your account). There are also desktop and mobile apps for Android and iOS devices if you wish
- Credentials used: you will need to create a new account on Mattermost. I will send you a link with a special team access code in it in the first week of the course.
- Used for: Mattermost is an open-source Slack-like tool that will be the base for our communication in this course instead of forums. There will be a few facilitated discussions happening in Mattermost and if you have questions or concerns, this is where you would post them. If you want to know why I use Mattermost instead of Moodle forums for discussion, I wrote a blog post explaining my pedagogical rationale for using it, along with a follow-up post I wrote after using it last year for the first time and getting feedback from previous LRNT learners that they overwhelmingly enjoyed it over Moodle discussion forums.
A service or tool of your choice to create an infographic
- Free platforms for creating infographics include Canva, Venngage, BeFunky, and VisMe.
- Credentials used: you will need to create an account on one of these platforms if you choose to use them to create your infographic.
- Used for: Assignment 1 is asking you to create an infographic. The infographic can be designed in whatever technical platform you wish.
Those are the main technology tools we will be using in this course. There may be others, like Google Docs or polling tools to coordinate schedules. But this list covers the main technologies you will use.