Welcome to Week 2 of The Link. This week we are going to continue our exploration of the various resources and supports available to you as RRU learners, and spend some time continuing to build and connect our community. You will also be working in groups to complete (from Week 1) Activity 3: Creating an Annotated Bibliography of Virtual Team Resources, which will be a great asset to you as you move forward in your program.
Here again is The Link Schedule.
Keep scrolling down this page to see this week’s activities. And as a reminder: Moodle is tracking your progress automatically as you go.
This Week’s Live Web Conferences
LIVE Zoom event: Thursday, April 6, 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm Pacific – Closing Session
Join us in Zoom to hear what’s next as you get ready for your first course/s (LRNT521 for the Online-only cohort) (both LRNT521 and LRNT522 for years with a Blended cohort). Meet program faculty and staff, and review your program from start to finish. Provide us with your feedback on your The Link experience.
All Zoom sessions are recorded and will be saved in each Zoom session’s event page in Moodle. In the MALAT and DipLAT programs it is your responsibility to listen to the recording in a timely manner if for some reason you are unable to attend the synchronous session.
Activity 5 | Confidentiality Form, Model Release Form, and Photo for Student ID Card
Part 2: All students registered in degree, diploma and certificate programs at Royal Roads University are entitled to a Student ID card, and are expected to have a photo in the Student Database. Please submit a current photo for your Student ID Card (photo will also be uploaded to the student database).
1. Log in to your MyAdminhttps://myadmin.royalroads.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx. Find a tab called Student ID. Follow the simple steps (for uploading your photo).
2. If you wish to have your student ID mailed to you, it will prompt you to upload a government-issued photo ID (eg. a photo of the ID).
Activity 6 | Building your Community – A Timeline Activity
What makes a community?
The answer is: too many things to list. But shared experiences and knowledge are elements of what make up a community. Over the next few days we will be doing a timeline activity in which we will be sharing our experiences with each other with the intention of getting to know each other better and creating our own online community. If you have not yet had the opportunity to use Padlet, take a moment now to Google it or YouTube it to find some useful “how to” tutorials.
During The Link we will monitor your Padlet comments.
**Note: Padlet may open better in Firefox or Chrome than in Explorer.**
**Note: You don’t need to log in or create an account to do this activity**
- In your sector, what have been the predominant technology changes over the past 20 years?
- In your sector, what have been the predominant learning and education models used over the past 20 years?
- In your sector what do you see as the next “big” technology in the next two years?
- In your sector, what do you see as the next move in learning and education models in the next two years?
- Finally, look forward 5+ years. How do you see education, learning and technology intersecting?
Activity 7 | Resources
Review Week 2 Resources
Please ensure you have reviewed the following resources (links to each of these can be found on the Moodle Resources page):
- Library and Writing Centre websites, How to Write A Graduate-level Essay guide, and Welcome to the Writing Centre video
- Copyright Office website
- Citation managers webpage.
- Research and Ethics
- The RRU Learning, Teaching and Research Model (LTRM) pdf
- Cohort Learning Model video
- Life Changing Experiences video
- Relevance in the Workplace video
- RRU Career database article
Complete Week 2 Resources Checklist (Quiz)
Please complete the Moodle Activity 7, Resources, Part 2: Week 2 Checklist/Quiz to indicate that you have reviewed the resources listed above in Part 1.